When you think of the new year what thoughts come to mind? Do you imagine yourself accomplishing goal after goal, and standing back to admire your achievements? If so, your dentist of Long Island City is offering a helping hand in fulfilling your desire to experience that coveted sense of accomplishment. He suggests that you think outside the box with your goals and consider something simple that may be overlooked – improving your oral health. Yes, this should be one of the top goals on your list this year, and as you continue reading you’ll learn why.
Why is Oral Health Important?
Your oral health is important because without a reasonable portion of it, it’ll almost be impossible to enjoy the results of any other goals you set. The condition of your mouth, teeth and gums serves as a window into your overall health. Thus, when your dental care is neglected you almost guarantee that there will be trouble in other areas.
But when you take the time to participate in some of the simple activities that encourage excellent oral health you can prevent problems like:
- Gum Disease – This condition is the result of the prolonged negligence of your oral health. If not treated, it only gets worse and will lead to several oral and overall health problems.
- Tooth Loss – One of the results of prolonged failed oral health is tooth loss. This occurs when the fibers and bone that hold the roots of your teeth in place are dissolved due to infection.
- Bad Breath – Having bad breath can be more than just an embarrassment. It can be a signal of major problems going on like gum disease and excess bacteria growth.
- Cavities – Cavities sometimes represent the last stage of simple oral correction because if they are ignored, the original culprit (bacteria) of the tiny hole in the enamel will continue to bore deeper until a root canal is required.
How to Improve Your Oral Health
There are two easy habits that you can adopt in the new year that will make a significant improvement in your oral health. They are to practice excellent oral health and attend semi-annual visits with your local dentist. This is how each can benefit you:
- Oral Hygiene – The practice of excellent oral hygiene includes brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day, using mouthwash to flush away excess food particles and eating healthier. All of these practices will help create a more balanced pH level in your mouth and remove the harmful bacteria that seek to cause havoc.
- Six-Month Visits – Equally as important as your hygiene regimen is your six-month appointment with your dentist. This is your chance to gain reassurance that your efforts have not been in vain, to allow your oral professional to monitor your health and formulate a plan to address any developing issues that are detected.
With these two integral pieces in place, you will have the oral health that you need and will automatically feel a difference in your self-esteem and your ability to accomplish any goal that you set. To learn more about how to take advantage of the opportunities available to you, just reach out to your local dentist and get ready to make this the best year ever!
About the Author
Dr. Ishwinder Saran earned his Doctor of Dental Medicine degree from Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine and then went on to receive additional training from Stratton VA Medical Center. A member of the American Dental Association and other professional organizations, Dr. Saran practices at LIC Dental Associates and can be reached for more information through his website.